Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gratitude



The Sun spreads out across the table, a cloth, and sunflowers ring light. I see it. All the world is window. No material is opaque. If we are willing to see- people, circumstances, situations, relationships- all is transparent. 
  All of this globe is but glass to God.
And gratitude washes the glass…
…Why am I a habitual reductionist? Why do I reduce God in this moment to mere annoying frustration? Why do I reduce The Greatest to the lesser instead of seeing the lesser, this mess, as reflecting The Greatest? I have to learn how to see, look through to the Largeness behind all the smallness. Isn't He here?
Give thanks to keep the gaze on heaven.
Glass to God. 

~One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

"I am overwhelmed with the challenges of life. What can I do?" I have offered to them, and I now offer to you, this specific suggestion: seek heavenly guidance one day at a time. Life by the yard is hard; by the inch it's a cinch. Each of us can be true for just one day- and then one more and then one more after that- until we've lived a lifetime guided by the Spirit, a lifetime close to the Lord, a lifetime of good deeds and righteousness. The Savior promised, "Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life."


~Obey, Believe, Endure by President Monson


1 comment:

Timothy said...

That's way good. I just heard that hard by yard cinch thing last night. Weird.