Sunday, January 22, 2012

Books Everywhere

I'm feeling the need to share some of the books we've enjoyed over the winter so far. Sometimes I get into a book slump and don't have any soul searching books on the go and then other times I have stacks of them. Right now my stack is out of control.


It just so happened that Jane and I were on our fifth Little House book "The Long Winter" just in time to read for December. The coolest part was finishing it on Christmas Eve. 


Jacob got this one for his birthday. It's written by Elsa Beskow whom I learned about from my friend Luisa. We now have a little collection of her books.

 "Elsa Beskow (1874-1953) is the Beatrix Potter of Scandinavia, and for over one hundred years Swedish children have grown up with her books. With a focus on nature, the changing seasons and the adventures you can only have as a child, her books transcend nationality and time and are true classics. For children aged 3-7 years old."
This butterfly book is by Sibylle von Olfers (1881-1916). Her books are equally darling if you ask me.

"She uses a blend of natural observation and simple design that critics 
have compared to the works Elsa Beskow."
"Snowflake Bentley" is actually a true story. It's a neat story about finding your passion in life and living it out. I was inspired. I also liked how his parents believed in him.


This past summer, our friend Ellice was reading "The Witch of Blackbird Pond"  at the swimming hole and she told us a bit about it. It motivated Jane and I to read it and finally did. We both really enjoyed it.

"The Hiding Place" is such a moving book. I don't know why I haven't read it until now but I'm glad I waited because I got to read it with Jane. Listening to me read is sort of Jane's thing. She will do it for hours and at any time she's ready. She just really loves it, so I capitalize on it and it's so rewarding to have all these books we love in common. This one had three small parts I skipped over because they weren't age appropriate but other than that it was lovely. 

I have to admit I felt pretty heartless taking this picture since Jane was in the depths of despair but I just thought it was so cute that she felt so wounded by the story. She was sitting at the table with a box of tissues and that's when I snapped the photo.
The sign of a true book lover. 



“When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don’t throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.” 
-Corrie Ten Boom

No comments: