I've made this bread 4 times in three days. Its rare that all four kids love a recipe and they all love this one. Its easy to make and your house will smell like an autumn dream.
by Angela Liddon
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 50-55 mins
Ingredients (one loaf)
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup Sucanat or packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave
- 1 cup canned butternut squash or canned pumpkin (I used pumpkin)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 ground flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp warm water, mixed) (I used one egg)
To stir in
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped and toasted if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a loaf pan with parchment and then lightly grease with oil.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Add wet to dry and stir well until fully incorporated. Be careful not to over mix. You want to stop stirring just when it comes together. Fold in the nuts.
- Place the pan into the oven preheated to 350F. Bake for approx. 50 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pan for about 30 mins.
- Note: this is a dense, heavy bread.